I love fresh herbs because they’re an easy and cheap way to make almost anything taste better. What I don’t love is food waste. To save fresh herbs from perishing in the crisper, I’ll whir them into a simple vinaigrette to have on hand for a few days. These are perfect for greens, pasta salads, grain bowls and roasted vegetables. This version calls for parsley, but fresh cilantro and basil are easy swaps.
Vinaigrette to Use Up Leftover Herbs
- 1 cup packed parsley leaves and stems
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice or wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and whir until smooth.
2. Transfer for a lidded glass jar and refrigerate up to 5 days.
Makes 3/4 cup.