I’ve never met a grain bowl I didn’t like and this Tex Mex-inspired fajita bowl is no exception. Brimming with plant-based goodness like black beans, peppers, onions and brown rice, this recipe is as delicious as it is easy. To add big flavor fast, and skip wrangling multiple spice jars, I’m using an all-in-one Adobo seasoning blend which I liken to a latin-inspired seasoning salt.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- ½ large red onion, sliced
- 1 ½ tsp. Adobo Seasoning Blend, divided
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 14.5 oz. can low sodium black beans
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ medium ripe avocado
- ½ cup plain whole milk kefir (Recommend: Wallaby Organic)
- ⅓ cup packed cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice (more to taste)
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt (more to taste)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ cup salsa
- Lime wedges
Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion and sauté for 10 minutes. Season with ½ tsp. Adobo seasoning and oregano; set aside.
Drain ⅓ cup liquid from the can of black beans and discard. Transfer beans and remaining liquid from can to a small sauté pan. Stir in the remaining tsp. of Adobo seasoning and cayenne (optional). Set over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer; set aside.
In a high-powered blender, combine avocado, kefir, cilantro, lime and salt and blend until very smooth. Season to taste with additional lime juice and salt.
To serve, divide rice among 4 wide, shallow bowls. Top each with a serving of the peppers and onions, black beans and salsa. Top with avocado yogurt sauce and serve with a lime wedge.
This post is sponsored by Heinen’s. Check out the original post here.