I’ve converted many vegan chili skeptics with this Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili. Stirring in a can of refried beans makes it thicker, heartier, and bumps up the protein. And while it looks like a lot of ingredients, most are spices or pantry staples. You can pull this off after work in under 40 minutes, or in about 30 if you have time to prep the veg over the weekend.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 14.5-oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5-oz can vegetable broth
- 1 14.5 oz can spicy refried beans (or about 1 1/2 cups homemade)
- 1 14.5-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add bell peppers, sweet potato, and onion and saute for 10 minutes, or until onions are soft. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Season the vegetables with about 1/2 tsp kosher salt and black pepper.
Add the tomatoes, broth, and beans and bring mixture to a simmer. Check for seasoning here. (Depending on the seasoning in the refried beans, you may need to add more chili or cumin.) Simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in corn. Continue to cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper.