A meager pantry, bare fridge, and next to no time to chop ingredients led me to create an “old faithful” slow cooker recipe that never fails me. It’s a true dump-set-and-forget sort of deal (the best kind). Prep this Slow Cooker Masala Lentil Dal in 5 minutes before work and walk in to the kind of dinner you’ll be thinking about again next week.
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 13.5 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 heaping Tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground ginger (or 1 Tbsp fresh grated)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Cooked rice and/or naan
Combine all ingredients except cilantro (lentils through vegetable stock) in a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Remove lid and stir well. Season to taste with salt, then stir in chopped cilantro. Serve atop cooked rice, alongside toasted naan.