Canned black beans, refried beans and tomatoes with green chilis transform into a quick and easy black bean soup. Customize the seasoning with whatever you’ve got on hand, like chili powder, ground cumin and oregano. Brighten it up with a squeeze of fresh lime (or vinegar). It’s delicious topped with avocado, shredded cheese or a dollop of plain yogurt.
- 1 15 oz. can black refried beans
- 2 15 oz. cans black beans, drained
- 1 10 oz. can tomatoes with green chilis (think Rotel)
- 3-4 cups unsalted vegetable stock (recommend Kitchen Basics)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice (or red wine vinegar)
In a medium pot combine refried beans, drained black beans, tomatoes with green chilis, and stock. Use more/less stock depending on how thick you prefer the soup. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the refried beans are no longer clumpy.
Then season. Stir in cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. Feel free to add other seasonings to taste, like dried oregano, chili powder, or smoked paprika. Season to taste with salt.
Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. At the end, stir in 1-2 tablespoons lime juice or red wine vinegar.