A sweet potato, can of black beans, oats and a handful of basic spices become the simplest midweek veg burger you’ve ever made. These Black Bean Sweet Potato Burgers were birthed out of a moment of dinner desperation and saved us from back-t0-back nights of PB&J for dinner. Serve with or without buns, topped with avocado, lime juice and salsa.
- 1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potato (from about 1 extra large potato)
- 1 15-oz can no-salt-added canned black beans
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste; less if using salted canned beans)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- To serve: toasted buns, avocado, lime, jarred salsa
In a large bowl, combine sweet potato through spices. If mixture is too sticky and loose, add more oatmeal until it’s sturdy enough to shape into patties.
Shape into 5-6 patties. In a large heavy pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add patties in a single layer (you may need to do two batches) and allow to sear without moving (this will help hold them together). Cook 3 for minutes. Flip and cook 2-3 minutes on other side.