This Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup is easy enough to make ahead on a Sunday between loads of laundry and forgotten school projects, or in 40 minutes on a weeknight. And hearty enough to stand on it’s own, but it hasn’t met a crusty hunk of bread it doesn’t like. Also, 7 ingredients!
- 12 oz pre-cooked sausage (recommend: Niman Ranch chorizo)
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 oz chopped kale (about 5-6 fistfuls)
- 1 1/2 lb peeled russet potatoes, cubed (about 3 large)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 14.5-oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- To serve: Crusty bread, grated Parmesan
In a soup pot over medium heat, brown sausage until it renders some fat, about 2 minutes. Add onion and saute 3 minutes, followed by garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
Add kale and saute 2 minutes. Add potatoes, stock, and tomatoes and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook for 20-25 minutes (uncovered), or until potatoes are tender.