Nothing says weekend like Chicken Parmesan, except this one comes together without a lot of fuss on a Monday or Tuesday in one pan and in 30 minutes. You can serve this with pasta, but if I’m not up for boiling water, we’ll eat this alongside roasted green beans or broccoli (since the oven is on) and garlic toast for dipping.
Weeknight Chicken Parmesan
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 whole garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 6)
- 24 ounce jar favorite marinara sauce
- 3 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese, halved
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small dish or mug, microwave 2 tablespoons of oil along with the garlic clove for 15 seconds. Discard garlic and pour the oil onto a shallow plate.
On another shallow plate, mix together the panko, parmesan, herbs, salt and pepper. Dip each chicken breast first into the oil followed by breadcrumbs mixture; cover all sides.
In a large 12-inch skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Brown chicken in a single layer on one side for 3 minutes (don’t try to move it), then flip over and cook for 1 more minute. Pour marinara over chicken and transfer to oven. Bake for 15 minutes, then top each chicken breast with half a slice of cheese and return to oven for 3-5 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to stand 5 minutes. Serve alongside roasted green beans and a hunk of garlic bread (or cooked pasta).