Dropping some chopped greens into a hearty, pasta-heavy soup like this Sausage, Kale and Tortellini Soup is an easy way to sneak a few more dark leafies into your kids’ bowls. Simmering kale in broth reduces its bitterness and makes them tender quickly. And there is something so satisfying about the combination of sausage and kale in a hearty tomato broth. To make this spicy, use spicy Italian sausage and add dried red pepper flakes with the herbs, to taste.
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 12 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 8 cups beef stock
- 28-oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 lb carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 packed cups chopped kale leaves
- 1 lb frozen cheese tortellini
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
In a large pot, brown sausage, using a wooden spoon to crumble. Add onion and mushrooms and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
Stir in garlic and herbs and cook for 30 seconds. Add stock, tomatoes, and carrots and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir in kale. Continue to simmer until carrots are crisp-tender.
Add tortellini and continue to simmer until heated through, 6-8 minutes.
Serve soup topped with grated Parmesan cheese.