Feeling overworked or under the weather? This is the soup. Greens and Beans Soup is nourishing and comforting, but takes so little energy to make. It’s the simplest of soups, so opt for good quality stock whenever possible. This version uses a combination of butter beans and cannellini, but any white beans will do. And it really isn’t complete without a crusty hunk of bread.
Greens and Beans Soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (more for a kick)
- 5 oz pre-washed/chopped greens (like kale or chard)
- 8 cups good quality chicken or vegetable stock
- 2-3 cans white beans, drained (any variety)
- Juice of 1/2 – 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- To serve: olive oil, grated parm, bread
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
Add greens and saute until just wilted, about 3 minutes.
Add stock and bring to a simmer. Stir in beans. Continue simmering 2-3 minutes, or until beans are heated through. Stir in lemon juice to taste, followed by salt and pepper.
Serve with a glug of olive oil, sprinkle of parmesan cheese, and bread for dunking.