These Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps were made for weeknights. Plus, it gives kids the OK to eat with their hands. (Or, keep things neater by serving the filling in bowls atop shredded lettuce.) Prep the vegetables and sauce 3 to 4 days in advance and this comes together in under 15 minutes on swim practice night. Or PTO night. Or board meeting night…
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken (white and/or dark meat)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp roasted red chili paste
- 1/2 tsp dried ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 – 1 lime
- Romaine or butter lettuce leaves
- Chopped peanuts
In a large skillet or wok, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add ground chicken and brown, crumbling with the back of a wooden spoon. When it’s nearly cooked through, add bell pepper, carrots, and green onions. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
As vegetables cook, prepare the sauce. In a small dish, combine next 6 ingredients plus 1 Tbsp water. Set aside.
To the pan, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, followed by the sauce. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced slightly, the chicken is cooked through, and the carrots are crisp-tender. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice to taste.
To serve, scoop mixture into lettuce leaves and top with chopped peanuts.