These Meatless Sloppy Joes are brimming with vegetables like mushrooms and eggplant and they’re super flavorful thanks to a handful of pantry staples. With “meaty” eggplant and mushrooms in the mix we’re confident no one will miss the beef. Serve them alongside crispy sweet potato fries for a satisfying supper that’s sure to please.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (or smoked paprika)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 4 whole grain hamburger buns, toasted
- Bread and butter pickle chips (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, eggplant and mushrooms and saute for 12-15 minutes, stirring often, until edges begin to caramelize and vegetables reduce by at least half.
Add garlic, seasonings, salt and pepper and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire and mustard and continue to cook over medium-low heat until mixture thickens, 3-4 minutes more.
Fold in canned beans if using. Season to taste with additional salt. Serve atop toasted buns.
This recipe was developed in paid partnership with Perfectly Imperfect Produce. Check out the original post here.