Brace yourself for how simple and delicious this Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup is. It’s creamy and rich without a drop of dairy, and filling thanks to protein from the lentils and fiber from the squash. Also, fast. Red lentils cook in a fraction of the time compared to black, green, or brown. Buy pre-chopped butternut squash to make this even simpler (#notcheating).
- 1 large butternut squash (approx. 3 1/2 lbs), peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 8 cups vegetable broth or stock
- kosher salt
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 tsp ground curry powder (or cumin, or garam masala)
- Juice of 1/2 – 1 lemon, or to taste
In a large pot, combine squash, onion, carrots and stock. Bring to a boil.
Check the stock for seasoning and add salt to taste. Add lentils and curry powder.
Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes, or until vegetables and lentils are tender.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes before pureeing in a blender (or use an immersion blender).
Stir in juice of 1/2 – 1 lemon.